After completing my whole30 experience in December, I found a great number of obvious benefits that spanned from better mood to more self-efficacy in the kitchen. These are referred to as non-scale victories, or NSVs!
If you’re considering taking on the whole 30, take the time to sit down and write/type what you hope to gain. Then come back to it at the end and see what happened.
Here’s a list of my #nsv. Let me know how yours went if you’ve done a whole 30, or what you might hope to gain from doing one. If you’re thinking about doing it, then plan plan plan, shop shop, cook, cook and then DO IT!
- Excitement about trying new vegetables- If it’s roasted, I’m in! Acorn squash, kale, butternut squash cubes, cauliflower, eggplant and on and on.
- Spending time with my husband, cooking and prepping food.
- Feeling that my average mood increased.
- Pride and self-efficacy in cooking new dishes and creating some of my own too.
- Fitting into older dresses- that I haven’t worn since before having kids!
- Increased self-worth; us moms really have to take time for self-care and I felt this was an ultimate act of helping myself feel better and eat better.
- My ring swiveling around my finger- kind of annoying actually- but HEY!
- Change in my grocery shopping habits- releasing guilt on spending on healthy food; avoiding the many bread, crackers or sauces I used to buy and instead buying lots of produce, nuts, fish and meat.
- Making it clear to me what’s “worth it” and what isn’t. Actually turning down offers for cakes, ice cream or chocolate when it’s just not my favorite or not expected. This is an unexpected and greatly welcome change in my habits.
- Planning my lunches, dinners, breakfasts and snacks- in other words being more mindful about planning this part of my life (Hello, food is kind of important!).
View this post on Instagram
Congratulations to me! I've completed the whole30 with this last dinner as the bang. Made these beautiful "no fuss" salmon cakes and called them latkes! My toddler had a kick out of that! And I couldn't be prouder of my #nsv of being creative in the kitchen, increasing my kitchen self-efficacy, preparing my lunches for work and generally succeeding at this challenge. 30 days of consciousness. 30 days of connecting my mind, body, food, mood, cravings, sleep pattern, energy level and feeling awesome! #foodfreedomforever #happyhannukah #latkes #salmoncakes #whole30 #ididit #youcantoo #whole30dinner
There’s more and more and I can definitely see myself doing another round for re-balancing in the future.
Thanks for reading!